Sunday, September 7, 2008

Welcome!

I did not know much about health when I started college three years ago. I knew that if I ate a donut when I woke up I could have enough energy to walk to class. I knew that leftover pizza tastes great -- cold or heated. I knew that Happy Meals made me happy and there was nothing better than celebrating the end of the school week with a box of Funfetti cake. I felt I was being practical. Fast food was inexpensive, plus it tasted good and it filled me up. If I craved it I ate it. That was my personal health philosophy.

That philosophy has changed. While poking the Pillsbury Doughboy's tummy looks fun and eating his food tastes delicious -- it was bad for me. While my heart was filled with happiness, it was also filled with trans-fat. I realized my unhealthy lifestyle when I decided to join some friends on a long jog around campus. I got fatigued really quickly and had to slow my pace down drastically. My jogging time was worse than what it was in sixth grade. It was bothersome -- thirteen year-old Bradley could outperform eighteen year-old Bradley. Not only was I jealous of my younger self, but I quickly became concerned about my health.

I went back to my dorm room and looked at the food I had in my pantry to assess how bad my diet had gotten. I could have easily refilled a Hershey's vending machine with what was in my room. Maybe two.

I consulted my doctor and health-conscious friends to help improve my well-being. I used the Sarasota community to gradually improve my health. I found a map of bicycle routes in Sarasota and started to bike to some of my favorite destinations. I visited Selby Gardens and Siesta Key for nice outdoor walks. I found health trails via the Sarasota County Health Department's Pathways to Health site. I soon became a pro and started hiking at Myakka on a regular basis. I got groceries at the Farmers' Market downtown and played basketball at many of the local parks around town. I went from having a bad diet and a sedentary college lifestyle to being healthy, active, and fit. My college life is like watching Super Size Me in reverse.

During my semesters, I studied public health and became much more knowledgeable about my personal health. In addition, I learned a lot about community health as I constantly researched health issues and became more aware of public health concerns. I soon became a resource for many of my friends who sought a healthier lifestyle.

I still have a lot to learn about health and I decided to start a community health blog for Sarasota where people can learn and talk about health issues and share their own advice and ideas. I will share my own experiences by writing blog stories as I explore community health issues in Sarasota.

Enjoy!

1 comment: